23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Glacier Bay...(and a winner) updated

 This what we awoke to...We had arrived at Glacier Bay. We saw some smaller glaciers, but the ship stopped at this one.  On the TV they asked that you not talk while we were viewing the glacier.  It was beautiful.  The silence of the people aboard the ship allowed you to hear the cracking of the glacier and eventually the calving and splashing. It really was this color...
 I started watching this cathedral style hole in the glacier...
 The ice began making the cracking sounds and you could see a little of it flowing through the "window."


 When the ice breaks of the glacier it is called calving.  I had no idea as I snapped away if I was getting any good pictures.  I was super pleased when I got home and downloaded them. We didn't see much wildlife in Glacier Bay. Believe it or not, this is a black glacier.  It is black because as it has receded it takes the soil with it.  (or something like that) A close up of an iceberg. Just to put the size of the glacier into perspective...The boat you see here holds around 200 people.
Glacier Bay was exceptionally beautiful and hearing nature working was amazing.
If you missed part one or part two of my trip, click on over and check them out.  

And the winner is Miss Mooty!  Miss Mooty if you will email me your address I will put your gold flake earrings from Alaska in the mail.  When you are out in nature, do you like silence?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder